Eligibility Requirements to Apply for the Foreign Affairs IT Fellowship
The Foreign Affairs IT Fellowship program is designed as a two-year cohort model. Students accepted for the 2021 cohort will begin the Fellowship in fall 2021 (see the timeline for more details). To be eligible to apply for the 2021 cohort, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program relevant to Information Technology at a U.S.-based accredited institution and entering your junior year in fall 2021, OR
- Be seeking admission in an IT-related master’s degree program at a U.S.-based accredited institution beginning in fall 2021;
- Hold a minimum 3.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale at the time of the application, and maintain this GPA through participation in the program;
- Be able to obtain and maintain medical and security clearances and suitability requirements;
- Agree to a minimum five-year commitment with the Foreign Service upon successful completion of the program and the State Department’s requirements.
Minority groups historically underrepresented in the State Department are encouraged to apply: this includes but is not limited to racial, ethnic, geographic, and gender minorities, as well as those with financial need.