Eligibility Requirements to Apply for the Foreign Affairs IT Fellowship
The Foreign Affairs IT Fellowship, designed as a two-year cohort model, offers both undergraduate and graduate fellowships.
The application for the 2024 cohort will open in September 2023 and close in January 2024. Before the application opens, the dates will be updated on this page and on the Apply page.
Fellows selected for the 2024 cohort will begin their two-year fellowship in fall 2024 and complete the fellowship in summer 2026.
To be eligible to apply for the 2024 cohort, you must meet all the criteria below:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be enrolled full-time in an IT-related bachelor’s degree program or seeking admission in an IT-related master’s degree program at a U.S.-based accredited institution
- Be on a timeline to graduate with your bachelor’s or master’s degree in spring 2026 after four full-time (spring and fall) semesters during the two-year fellowship program*
- Hold a minimum 3.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale at the time of the application, and maintain this GPA throughout the program
As a selected fellow, you will need to:
- Obtain and maintain security clearances, suitability requirements and minimum medical qualification standards
- Agree to a five-year commitment with the Foreign Service upon successful completion of the program and the State Department’s requirements
Women, members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, and those with financial need, are encouraged to apply.
*To be on the timeline for the undergraduate fellowship, you need to earn your bachelor’s degree (or your combined bachelor’s and master’s degree in an accelerated program) after attending four full-time (spring and fall) semesters beginning fall 2024. To be on the timeline for the graduate fellowship, you would need to enter a full-time master’s degree program in fall 2024 and earn your degree after attending four full-time (spring and fall) semesters beginning fall 2024.
See if you’re eligible to apply:
- View the eligibility checklist
- Take the quiz (see below)